Sunday, June 13, 2010

Heroes and the Insulating Value of Wool

Today was the second day of the Kansas City Highland Games. It rained. This is a gross understatement.

We spent the first couple of hours under the halfway-up tent periodically pushing on the roof with a PVC pole (that would eventually hold up the banner) to keep the puddles of water from collapsing the tent on our heads. For awhile there it was a race around and beneath the roof supports of the tent to keep up with the forming puddles in all four corners. In between pushes and deluges I sent texts to those who thought they might come out until I decided my hands were too wet to use the phone. It actually was a lot of fun. There was no whining.

For the next several hours we figured out ways to stay fairly dry and warm. This is where wool comes in to the story. It is utterly amazing to me how warm wool is even when very wet. And, if you shake it out, it dries really fast. I had my cashmere wrap from California and Harold had his wool Glengarry. I was nice and warm and his head was warm. Our feet were thoroughly wet. Still fun.

Eventually I dried my hair in the bathroom under the G-Force hand dryers and was grateful that it was cut very summer short. The sun came out. It was then Louisiana-style humid.

The rest of the day was spent watching "the boys" be heroes. They helped dismantle and fold up broken tents for other Clans. They pushed a very stuck truck out of the mud. They entertained me with stories and did the food runs with me. They made delightful companions. It is an interesting group - the three wives (who are sisters) and my husband are the history buffs. The husbands (the boys) and I are the decorative accessories to the Clan tent. We wear kilts and generally try to be helpful. Today I was just decorative, though, (other than coffee and meat runs) while the boys were helpful and heroic in every direction they turned. I was proud to be associated with them. Really really proud.




Website Counter
Free Counter

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home