Friday, December 10, 2010



So I really must be an artist snob. I make these aprons and I have been known to take special orders on occasion....and I will ask people what they want. I ask "Do you like florals or geometrics or funny prints? Do you prefer bright or pastel or neutral colors?" but I think I mean "what general parameters am I willing to agree to?" Because I almost always balk when I get specific requests. Just inside my own head a little bit or maybe out loud to my sounding board wonderful husband. But it is balking.

So I got an order with TWO SOLID COLORS specifically requested. ????? Solid colors for an apron? It will show every spot and stain! It will look funny! I can't get a good match for trim! Complaint! Argument! Reluctant spirit! The red request had an additional specification - a butterfly on the pocket. Sigh. Now I don't even get to have artistic freedom in making it look like SOMETHING.

But you can see here that it turned out to be quite lovely. The trim matched the beautiful red cotton sateen perfectly and I had this drop-dead-gorgeous scrap of giant floral to make a butterfly with, and though it is likely a bit bigger than the recipient expected, I was quite happy with the result and I hope she will be, too.

And I MIGHT quit complaining about limitations. I told the girls in my costume class that sometimes it is the limitations which spark the most creativity. Like Magnetic Poetry only has so many words. You have to search out alternative ways to say things... it can be a catalyst for some wonderful work to be limited.

Hmmmm. Then again, I am over 50 and less likely to change now. *smile*


Website Counter
Free Counter

1 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

I think I know how you feel about requests, but this is just beautiful and the placement of the butterfly is kind of perfect.

December 15, 2010 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home